Merck Manuals Now Available in SpanishComments Off on Merck Manuals Now Available in Spanish
Merck Manuals Now Available in Spanish
The U.S. is home to 52 million Spanish speakers, making it the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world, yet the availability of accurately translated medical information is not keeping pace with the growth of this population.
Many medical resources are loosely translated into Spanish using automated services that don’t reflect key language nuances. A 2014 study in the British Medical Journal found that Google Translate is only 57.7% accurate when translating medical phrases. As you’re all well aware, inaccurate translations can lead to confusion in treatments or dosages, sometimes even creating disastrous consequences.
We believe credible health information is a universal right. That’s why we’ve partnered with leading professional translators to ensure that all medical information found on MerckManuals.com is accurate, complete and tailored to Spanish speaking consumers and health care professionals.
Here are the steps we’ve taken to ensure you and your patients have accurate information to access and discuss:
Consumer Version Translation Process
- The consumer translation was coordinated by a global translations company, which identified a number of native Spanish-speaking medical doctors and experienced medical linguists.
- We then selected a team of the best writers and editors from this group to translate the Manual’s content. The translators used a three-step process (translate, edit, and quality control) to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Finally, selected content was reviewed again by an independent, native Spanish-speaking physician reviewer as an additional check of content.
Professional Version Translation Process
- The professional version was created in partnership with Spanish medical publisher Editorial Médica, Panamericana’s Medical Publishing Division.
- Translations were prepared by physicians and reviewed by medical editors to ensure accuracy.
- All content then underwent a separate quality control review by native Spanish-speaking physicians.
These measures give us, and we hope you, a sense of comfort that the Spanish medical information on our site has the same high quality, reliability and readability as the English versions of The Manual.
You and your patients can now search and access more than 10,000 medical resources – including articles, quizzes and videos – in Spanish. Our unique toggle feature that lets you switch from an article written for professionals to one written in layman’s terms is also available on the Spanish pages, to make it easy for you to find information you can print out or share electronically with your Spanish speaking patients.
We spoke with Dr. Hector Gonzalez Usigli, physician in Guadalajara, Mexico and author of The Manuals’ chapters on movement disorders, who provided his thoughts on the launch of the Spanish translations.
“As healthcare professionals know, the latest medical information and developments are documented in English worldwide, but a basic translation does not take into account the key language nuances that are important to fully comprehending medical concepts. It is important for the wellbeing of our patients that healthcare professionals and the general public have access to medical information in their native language, which is why I’m proud to be part of The Manuals’ mission to give Spanish speakers around the world the opportunity of knowledge.”
Please note the dropdown language menu in the upper right corner of every page that you can use to choose English or Spanish (and soon other languages) as you visit our site. We’re proud to be able to offer this latest addition to our all-digital platform and hope it will benefit you and your patients.